Orel 20 Loops From Operatational Mode to Initialization

Hello,

I recently acquired some Orel 20 ESCs and the Babel developer kit. I am having difficulty assigning Node IDs to the ESCs using the UAVCAN GUI tool.

I have the Babel connected to the computer via USB and an Orel 20 ESC connected via CAN to the Babel.
Ubuntu 16.04
Sapog version: 2.2.0f67ce73

When I start up the GUI, none of the ESCs that I have connected are recognized (not sure if it is supposed to identify them at this point). Once I start the dynamic node ID allocation server, the ESCs show up in the GUI, however, they will only stay in the OPERATIONAL mode for 10 seconds then they go back into INITIALIZATION. This process continues to loop and I cannot change any of the parameters as I get the message that the requests timed out. I’m not sure if I have damaged the hardware somehow or if something else is the problem.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

Hello,

When I start up the GUI, none of the ESCs that I have connected are recognized (not sure if it is supposed to identify them at this point). Once I start the dynamic node ID allocation server, the ESCs show up in the GUI

This is the expected behavior.

they will only stay in the OPERATIONAL mode for 10 seconds then they go back into INITIALIZATION

How many ESC exhibit this behavior? From your description, they are clearly being restarted by the watchdog, which could be caused by damaged hardware.

That’s good to know it is behaving as expected. I have only have 2 ESCs and both of them are behaving this way.

Is there anything I can do on my end to troubleshoot them or does this error mean they are too far gone to fix?

Thanks,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Could you provide pictures of the boards? Unlikely we’ll see much, but it might give us small insight.

Do you remember roughly when you purchased these boards from Titan?

Thanks,
Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Here are pictures of the two boards. Perhaps you can see something that I can’t.

I believe they were purchased in the January/February '18 time frame.

Thanks,
Jon

Hey Jon,

What’s the voltage connected to the power leads?

Did you ever exceed 18v?

If not, contact Titan and we’ll do some testing over here.

Thanks,
Bryan

Hi Bryan,

The voltage connected to the leads is 7.5-12V. No, I have never powered them at or above 18V.

Thanks,
Jon

Just an update to this. I sent the ESCs back to Titan Elite (the best customer service I have ever seen). They bench tested them to ensure that they were working and sent them back.

As it turns out, I was under powering the ESCs. Bumping the voltage up to 12V seemed to do the trick.

Thanks for the help!

Jon

Thanks for the update. For your future reference, here’s the datasheet where the main parameters are specified: https://files.zubax.com/products/io.px4.sapog/Zubax_Orel_20_Datasheet.pdf